The versioning approval rules allow for different items against a job to be used to trigger an approval requirement. It also allows for different levels of authorisation against different user types and also to apply multiple different rules against a job.
Creating and submitting versions
When a job is first created, it is given the version number of 1.
A version can either have a status of:
- New: a version has been created and changes to the job are being made before being submitted to the approval cycle.
- Pending: the job has been submitted into the approval cycle after changes have been made and an approval rule means that the job is waiting for an authorised user to approve the changes.
- Approved: the version has been approved and work can continue on the job.
- Rejected: the authorised user has rejected the changes made to the job. A new version must be created to amend the job and move back through the version cycle.
- Cancelled: a user has cancelled the version due to errors. The current version of the job will revert back to being the last approved version of the job.
- A job can only have one current status and previous versions of the job can be viewed by looking at the work log details page. This can be accessed by clicking on the work log ref on the job details page
- By default, this page only shows the current version of the job but selecting the “show all versions” option will show all older versions of the job, which can then be viewed.
- It should be noted that when a job is versioned the old version of the job is given a new job reference number and the actual job reference stays with the current job version.
1. Select the 'Create version' option on the job details page.
2. The new job version will keep the job reference but the old version (Number 1) will be assigned a new job ref.
Changes can then be made to the job, adding costs, activities, amending job or supplier details. Once all changes have been made (see Amending the job details) the submit version option should be selected.
If you click on the Work Log Ref you will be able to see the details of the old job versions, here you can see the 1st version has been closed and it has a new job ref of J021CD.
The changes to the job will then be analysed by the approval cycle process and any rules that exist will be checked to see if they apply, and if the user that has submitted the version has the authority to approve versions. If all these checks pass then the version status will be set to approved, if not the version status will remain at pending until an authorised user approves or rejects the changes, by selecting the 'approve version' or 'reject version' action.
If you have made a mistake or you would like to return the job to the last approved version you can use the 'Cancel Version' option whilst the job has a status of New. This button will appear next to the Submit Version button.
If you use this option you should be aware that it can affect any changes you have made to the different tabs on a job, the details have been broken down per tab below
Job Details Tab - If you have modified job details using the modify button
Attributes - If you have changed attribute values or entered new data it will be removed
- Appointments, you will be unable to cancel the job version if you have pending appointments. The appointments will need to be canceled before you can cancel the version
- Time records, any time added to the job will be removed, the costs linked to the labour time will also be removed
Activities - New activities will be removed and changes made to existing activities will be rolled back eg changing the activity quantity or adding notes.
Parts - Any parts added or requested will be removed once you cancel the version
Job History - Events or notes applied whilst in a new version will be removed once you cancel the version
Documents - Documents uploaded to the job will remain on the job after a version has been canceled
Job Cost - Ad hoc costs, labour rates, activity costs and part costs will all be removed after a version has been canceled.
Approving or rejecting versions
- Once the 'approve version' or 'reject version' button has been pressed the user will be presented with a screen detailing all the rules that are applicable to the version that they are able to approve (there may be more than one depending on the relevant configuration).
- The user selects the applicable rules that they wish to either approve or reject and selects save. It should be noted that only when all the rules that are applicable to that version have been approved or all rejected will the version be set to that status.